1. What is a Circuit Breaker?
2. How does a Circuit Breaker different from Switch?
Switch is just a device when can be able to open and close the circuit during normal operation. Whereas on the other hand circuit breaker has the ability to open and close the contacts during abnormal or fault conditions.
Thus circuit breaker has the potential to break and make heavy short circuit currents. Auto-reclosures in the circuit beaker has the ability to re-close after certain designed duration to verify whether the short circuit was cleared.
3. What is meant by making capacity of the circuit breaker?
4. Why current chopping is not common in oil circuit breakers?
5. Name the materials used for the contacts of vacuum circuit breakers?
6. Why current chopping considered as serious drawback in a circuit breaker?
7. For EHV applications which type of circuit breaker is mostly preferred?
8. What are the duties of Circuit Breakers?
- Interruption of small inductive currents
- Switching of unloaded transmission lines and unloaded cables
- Switching of capacitor banks and reactors
- Interruption of terminal faults
- Interruption of short line faults
- Asynchronous switching